As enterprises continue to move more transactions and processes online, distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks have become an increasingly significant threat. A distributed denial of service attack uses multiple systems compromised by malware or vulnerable legacy protocols to send enormous amounts of traffic to a specific website or web based application. With requests from potentially hundreds of thousands of sources flooding in, availability and performance on the target site drops off sharply, causing the site to operate slowly or crash, denying service to users.
While distributed denial of service attacks are a fairly old form of malicious threat, they have evolved to become highly sophisticated, growing both in complexity and in volume. Enterprises today find it nearly impossible to scale their security infrastructure to address the largest DDoS attacks. And perpetrators have shifted focus of distributed denial of service attacks from the transport and network layers to the application layer, where layer 7 protocols make DDoS attacks harder to detect.
For enterprises seeking superior DDoS protection, Akamai provides cloud-based enterprise solutions that offer a multi-layered defense against the increasing frequency, scale and sophistication of distributed denial of service attacks.
Stopping distributed denial of service attacks with Akamai.
Akamai Kona Site Defender enables enterprises to maintain site performance and availability in the face of distributed denial of service attacks. This powerful solution can detect, identify, and mitigate DDoS attacks before they reach the origin, leveraging the massive scale of Akamai's Intelligent Platform™, the leading cloud platform for delivering secure, high performing user experiences to any device, anywhere.
Kona Site Defender stops distributed denial of service attacks by deflecting network-layer DDoS traffic and absorbing application-layer DDoS traffic at the network edge. Mitigation capabilities are implemented natively in-path to defend against attacks in the cloud prior to reaching the customer origin. Kona Site Defender also includes a highly scalable Web Application Firewall (WAF) to fend off SQL injections, cross-site scripting (XSS) and other application-layer attacks in HTTP and HTPS traffic.
The benefits of Kona Site Defender against distributed denial of service attacks
Kona Site Defender offers distinct benefits, enabling the enterprise to:
- Successfully protect websites and web applications against distributed denial of service attacks.
- Minimize the risk of data breach and theft with a highly scalable and high-performance web application firewall.
- Maintain website performance and availability performance during distributed denial of service attacks.
- Reduce the costs associated with web security.
- Respond to an evolving threat landscape with security rules that are continuously updated by Akamai's Threat Intelligence Team.
- Leverage insights based on the data collected from web clients to identify malicious actors proactively.
- Access best in class security expertise in defending against DDoS attacks.
Learn more about Akamai solutions for distributed denial of service attacks, as well as solutions for CDN Security, application management, and more.