The Landscape is Threatening
- 98% of organizations have been compromised by web application attacks within the last year
- 85% of organizations have suffered phishing attacks
- Nearly 50% of web browsing is done by bots, many of them unfriendly
- 390K new malware threats are registered each day
- Credential theft and abuse are on the rise
- DDoS attacks are increasingly sophisticated and disruptive
The costs of security failure are growing. Data breaches alone are projected to cost businesses $2.1 trillion by 2019.
Defending against DDoS
Most Distributed Denial of Service attacks require little skill or expense to launch, and they hit enterprises without warning or reason. DDoS attacks can cause downtime and lost business, data theft and reparations, and extended reputational damage.
While the average attack size of 5 Gbps can overwhelm a network, attacks over 300 Gbps are becoming more common.
So are repeat attacks, with the average organization hit 35 times during Q1 2017, and one enterprise was attacked over 350 times in the quarter. Enterprises need the ability to sense attacks and scale defenses before attacks reach critical mass.
Bots perform much of the everyday work of the Internet, including crawling the web at lightning speed for useful information. They play key roles in more and more web applications. However, only 28% of all bot traffic is declared, and much of the rest is web-scraping bot activity or traffic. Bot management starts with the premise that not all bots are created equal. Some must be blocked outright, others monitored, others given favorable treatment. Even so-called good bots can overload infrastructure and degrade performance. Enterprises need the ability to manage, not just mitigate bots, without affecting legitimate customer traffic.
Three Keys to Cloud Security
- High Performance, including the capacity and scalability to counteract DDoS attacks.
- Distributed Architecture to sense attacks early and mitigate them rapidly by being “out where the attackers are.”
- Collective Intelligence using big data analytics on network traffic to recognize, mitigate, and even anticipate malware and attacks.
To capitalize on the market potential of the cloud, CIOs and other business leaders must navigate a fast-changing landscape of security threats.
That requires integrated, scalable, alert, and intelligent defenses to protect infrastructure, applications, data, and business relationships.
Akamai provides performance at scale with the world’s largest and most trusted cloud delivery solution. Its resources scale so the customers don’t have to. Akamai has unrivaled visibility into the most-attacked properties on the web and continuously gains threat intelligence from in-depth inspection of both good and bad traffic. Its security perimeter starts at the edges of the cloud, and it constantly incorporates the latest collective intelligence into its products and services. Security management is simplified, and business risk is reduced because security posture keeps up to date with the latest threats.
Leading Companies Trust Akamai Cloud Security
- The top 4 US broadcast networks
- 4 of the top airlines
- 16 of the top e-commerce companies
- 100 of the world’s leading banks
- The UK’s 4 most-viewed networks
- 7 of France’s most-viewed networks
- 6 of Germany’s most-viewed networks
- The largest US cable and satellite companies