Why a Zero Trust Security Model is Needed
New business initiatives and processes have created new attack surfaces, and a corporate security perimeter no longer makes sense. Applications, users, and devices are moving outside, dissolving what was once the trusted enterprise perimeter. Protection is now needed where applications and data, and users and devices, are.
Common IT Challenges
- Network Trust and Malware.
The old mantra of “inside = trusted” is an antiquated concept as network breaches continue to soar. Companies must evolve to a “never trust, always verify” zero trust model to secure against the wide variety of threats that exist and are constantly evolving.
- Complexity and IT Resources.
Enterprise access and security is complex … and changing. Providing secure application access often takes days and requires touching multiple hardware and software components from multiple vendors. And more enterprise apps are SaaS and IaaS, which adds another layer of requirements. Ensuring network security requires specialized knowledge and IT time for reviewing alerts. Multiply this across multiple environments — and often, multiple regions — and the problems magnify quickly. But it doesn’t need to be this complex.
- Poor User Experience.
User experience is often a trade-off that comes with having multiple layers of security, or an application delivery platform that doesn’t meet the requirements of a global, distributed user base. This results in unproductive workers, application adoption loss, and extra work for IT with increased help desk tickets. Strong security doesn’t need to come with compromise.
How to Start Your Zero Trust Security Journey
Move to a least-privilege application access model
If you opt for a simple VPN setup, you probably do what many companies do — you allow logged-in users to have IP-level access to your entire network. We know how dangerous this is. Why should call center employees have IP access to source code repositories? Or why should a contractor using your billing system have access to the credit card processing terminals? Access should be to just those applications needed in order to perform a role.
Get an access solution that:
- Keeps users off the corporate network
- Provides single sign-on for all corporate applications (on-premises, SaaS, IaaS)
- Utilizes the power of the Internet for delivery, while keeping the applications hidden
- Enables you to add multi-factor authentication
- Includes application acceleration and application security built in
- Simplifies IT process, with no hardware or client-side software and simple onboarding
- Integrates with your existing SIEM solutions or delivers full reporting
- Read “5 Must Haves for Your Remote Access Solution”
- Learn more about Enterprise Application Access
- Try Enterprise Application Access FREE for 30 days
Protect against targeted threats when users are on or off network
What protects your users from becoming unwitting bad actors through malware infections? Prevention and detection of targeted threats such as malware, phishing, ransomware, and command and control are crucial for outbound traffic.
Get a threat protection solution that:
- Protects users on and off network
- Provides visibility of all Internet-bound traffic
- Identifies and blocks access to malicious domains
- Prohibits DNS-based data exfiltration
- Disrupts communications from compromised devices
- Enables enforcement of your acceptable use policy
- Read “5 Must-Ask DNS Questions”
- Learn more about Enterprise Threat Protector
- Test the effectiveness of your current security solution. Get a FREE Enterprise Threat Check
Improve Your End-user Experience
A zero trust security architecture should not come at the expense of simplicity, user productivity, or experience.
Get an application delivery solution that:
- Reduces latency with cloud application delivery
- Streamlines WAN costs
- Delivers applications to any location globally without replicating instances
- Eliminates costly optimization appliances (virtual or hardware)
- Read “Delivering Fast, Secure Enterprise Apps”
- Learn more about Enterprise Application Access + Akamai performance solutions
Enable a Zero Trust Architecture Model with Akamai
Akamai is a cloud platform that can secure all enterprise applications and users. With Akamai, you can enable:
- Identity and app access
- Single sign-on with multi-factor authentication
- App performance and security
- Advanced threat protection
- Inline data inspection