Get In Touch
Modern websites and mobile apps are built from the ground up with APIs. Delivering over 225 billion API and web services transactions on its Intelligent Platform every day, Akamai leverages a unique set of API-specific capabilities designed to provide performance, scale, offload, and reliability to so-called “single-page” websites and mobile applications. Akamai’s unique performance solutions include optimizations for:
- API Acceleration - Real-time data collected by Akamai selects an optimal path between your origin infrastructure and the Akamai Edge servers, while proprietary techniques are used to avoid Internet congestion points and unnecessarily long routes.
- API Caching - Akamai can cache these responses at the Edge (even for mere seconds) to position the content closer to the consumer requesting it, keeping requests off the cellular network and helping to preserve the battery life of mobile devices.
- API Compression - Compression of API responses can reduce the payload size 60-90% and thus the delivery time of API responses.
- API Protection - Akamai can apply rate controls to API requests, as well as inspect JSON and XML API calls in order to ensure your web server remains available and the data on it is secure.
- API Prioritization Cloudlet – Akamai’s unique edge-based intelligence can throttle the volume of requests that are sent to API-driven applications to maintain availability of key applications, even offering alternate static experiences to handle overflow traffic to ensure visitors have a quality experience even when the application is under extreme load.