What is a CIAM?
CIAM is a digital identity management tool for businesses that enables real-time identity management, end-to-end security, and activation. These capabilities enable seamless and safe customer experiences while providing your business with actionable customer insights.
CIAM Use Cases
Consumers want a friction-free login process, regardless of where they are or what device they're using. Common use cases include:
- Reduce Abandonment Rates
- Get Identity Resolution
- Gain 360° Customer Insights
- Activate Digital Experiences
- Improve Customer Experiences
- Make Consent and Compliance Easy
You need a solution that is simple to use, compliant with local regulations, and is highly secure. Common use cases include:
- Manage Customer Identities at Scale
- Enable Social Login
- Secure Customer Data
- Reduce Threat Exposure
- User Authentication
- Consent Lifecycle Management
CIAM vs. IAM
There is a common misconception that technology for customer identity and access management (CIAM) is the same as that for traditional identity access management (IAM).
Traditional IAM is designed to limit employee access to internal systems. It cannot provide insights into who a user is. CIAM platforms, on the other hand, are architected to give companies maximum value from customer profile data.
CIAM platforms enable seamless and frictionless customer experiences, so tasks like login, authentication, or preference management don’t impede activity. Additionally, they address the critical need to secure personal data across public networks, even as they enable global businesses to comply with varied and frequently changing privacy regulations.Read "Why Traditional IAMs Shouldn't be Used for Customers"
Choosing a CIAM
Your organization needs a robust, enterprise-grade CIAM platform that provides real-time identity management, end-to-end security, and activation capabilities. These enable seamless and safe customer experiences and provide the deep customer insights your organization needs.
When evaluating CIAM platforms, look for a solution that:
- Goes beyond traditional IAM
- Produces a unified customer view
- Eliminates disparate data silos
- Delivers customer journey analytics
- Provides comprehensive security
- Lowers the threshold to entry
- Scales seamlessly to tens of millions of users
- Collects the identity information that's important
- Offers integration and interoperability
- Meets privacy and data compliance standards