Global Average Connection Speed Increases 14 Percent Year over Year, According to Akamai’s ‘Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report’
Upward trend welcome as online retailers prepare for holiday shopping season
Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the global leader in content delivery network (CDN) services, today released its Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report. Based on data gathered from the Akamai Intelligent Platform, the report provides insight into key global statistics such as connection speeds, broadband adoption metrics, notable Internet disruptions, IPv4 exhaustion and IPv6 implementation.
Data and graphics from the Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report can be found on the Akamai State of the Internet site and through the Akamai State of the Internet app for iOS and Android devices, which includes richer datasets for comparison views, ability to plot trends across time and countries, and easy social sharing of user-generated charts. State of the Internet Report-related discussions are also taking place on the Akamai Community.
“The continued increase in average connection speeds is a reassuring trend as online retailers prepare for the busy holiday shopping season,” said David Belson, editor of Akamai’s State of the Internet Report. “However, recent Internet disruptions caused by everything from government-ordered blackouts to a lone monkey sparking a widespread outage are reminders of the many factors that can affect access to and use of the Internet that is so often taken for granted.”
Highlights from Akamai’s Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report:
Global Average Connection Speeds and Global Broadband Connectivity
- Global average connection speed decreased 2.3% from the first quarter of 2016 to 6.1 Mbps, a 14% increase year over year.
- Global average peak connection speed increased 3.7% to 36.0 Mbps in the second quarter, rising 2.5% year over year.
- Global 10 Mbps broadband adoption rate grew 0.7% quarter over quarter, but 15 Mbps and 25 Mbps broadband adoption rates fell 0.8% and 2.1%, respectively.
IPv4 and IPv6
- The number of unique IPv4 addresses connecting to the Akamai Intelligent Platform was just over 800 million, which is 1% less than the first quarter of 2016.
- Belgium remained the clear global leader in IPv6 adoption with 38% of its connections to Akamai occurring over IPv6, up 5.1% from the previous quarter.
- Cable and wireless/mobile providers continued to drive the largest volumes of IPv6 requests, with Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and Sky Broadband topping the list with 74%, 61% and 56% of their requests to Akamai being made over IPv6 in their regions, respectively.
- Average mobile connection speeds ranged from a high of 23.1 Mbps in the United Kingdom to a low of 2.2 Mbps in Venezuela.
About the Akamai State of the Internet Report
Each quarter, Akamai publishes a “State of the Internet – Connectivity” report. This report includes data gathered from across the Akamai Intelligent Platform about attack traffic, broadband adoption, mobile connectivity and other relevant topics concerning the Internet and its usage, as well as trends seen in this data over time. For additional information on the metrics in the report and how they are analyzed, please visit http://akamai.me/sotimetrics. To learn more and to access the archive of past reports, please visit /content/akamai/en/our-thinking/state-of-the-internet-report/global-state-of-the-internet-connectivity-reports. .htmlTo download the figures from the Second Quarter, 2016 State of the Internet Report, please visit: http://wwwns.akamai.com/soti/soti_q216_figures.zip.
À propos d'Akamai
Leader mondial des services de réseau de diffusion de contenu (CDN), Akamai offre à ses clients des performances Internet rapides, fiables et sécurisées. Les solutions avancées d'Akamai en matière de performances Web, performances mobiles, sécurité dans le cloud et diffusion multimédia révolutionnent la façon dont les entreprises optimisent les expériences des internautes, des entreprises et du divertissement sur tous les terminaux, partout dans le monde. Pour découvrir comment les solutions et l'équipe d'experts Internet d'Akamai aident les entreprises à accélérer leur croissance, rendez-vous sur le site www.akamai.com ou sur le blog blogs.akamai.com et suivez @Akamai sur Twitter.
Akamai powers and protects life online. Leading companies worldwide choose Akamai to build, deliver, and secure their digital experiences — helping billions of people live, work, and play every day. With the world’s most distributed compute platform — from cloud to edge — we make it easy for customers to develop and run applications, while we keep experiences closer to users and threats farther away. Learn more about Akamai’s security, compute, and delivery solutions at akamai.com and akamai.com/blog, or follow Akamai Technologies on Twitter and LinkedIn.