In addition to driving industry-leading security intelligence, Akamai threat researchers regularly publish in academic journals and present at conferences and industry association events, sharing mitigation strategies and data focused on the constantly evolving security landscape.
FEATURED SECURITY VIDEO
Behind the Scenes with the Akamai Security Intelligence Response Team
FEATURED SECURITY REPORT
Attacks on financial services institutions are growing in both quantity and sophistication. Our new State of the Internet / Security report studies criminal behavior across this advanced and expansive attack economy.
From a popular authentication mechanism for staging credential stuffing attacks to the use of stolen identities to cash out ill-gotten gains, we identify leading attack vectors, lucrative phishing variants, and how decoy attacks distract from their real targets. Attacks that prove successful in financial services often move on to other industries.Download the report
FEATURED THREAT ADVISORY
Multiple Vulnerabilities in Magento: Earlier this week, Magento disclosed a new set of vulnerabilities affecting versions 2.0 and up. With a proof of concept exploit already published and the an SQL injection vulnerability being actively exploited, we look at how you can determine if you have been targeted and recommended remedial actions to be taken.
- Summer Phishing Scams Targeting Vacation Hotspots Read Blog Post
- Criminals Using Targeted Remote File Inclusion Attacks in Phishing Campaigns Read Blog Post
- Adversarial DGA - Is It Out There? Read Blog Post
- Pykspa v2 DGA Updated to Become Selective Read Blog Post
- Anatomy of a SYN-ACK Attack Read Blog Post
- SIRT Advisory: Silexbot Read Blog Post
Technical Threat Research
- Strategies for Active IPv6 Topology Discovery Read Publication
- Advancing the Art of Internet Edge Outage Detection Read Publication
- Improving Bitrate Adaptation in the DASH Reference Player Read Publication
- State of the Internet / Security: Web Attacks and Gaming Abuse Read Report
- State of the Internet / Security: Credential Stuffing - Attacks and Economies Read Report
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: Retail Attacks and API Traffic Report Read Report
- 2019 State of the Internet / Security: DDoS and Application Attacks Report Read Report
Chad Seaman is a self-proclaimed “Internet Dumpster Diver” and lover/loather of cybercrime, with a specific interest in DDoS and botnets. Spending his time in the proverbial internet trenches he can be found poking malware with sharp sticks, knocking on foreign ports, and befriending botnet control infrastructure. His role on the Akamai SIRT team covers a wide range of responsibilities and projects such as incident management, security research, attack analysis, honey potting, malware analysis, botnet tracking, and a never-ending quest to break things for fun and profit.
The latest threat advisories, network security white papers, and cloud security news with updates on DDoS attacks, botnets, malware, ransomware, and other cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
- Multiple Magento Vulnerabilities: Learn about a new set of exploits, checks, and recommended fixes Read Report
- Satori Mirai Variant Alert: We look at new Mirai exploits that target multiple vulnerabilities Read Report
- CLDAP Reflection: We analyze the capabilities of and defenses against a new CLDAP method Read Report
Network Security White Papers
- Web Vulnerabilities: The Foundation of the Most Sophisticated DDoS Campaigns Read the whitepaper
- Plan vs. Panic: Making a DDoS Mitigation Playbook Part of Your Incident Response Plan Read the whitepaper
- IDC: Worldwide DDoS Prevention Products and Services 2013–2017 Forecast Read the whitepaper
Our unprecedented visibility provides insights into DNS and IP traffic that inform threat visualizations to reveal risk factors and attacks blocked, and provide critical security data.
Daily threat levels by industry and region containing informed Internet security metrics.Learn More
Akamai Threat Research in the News
Top stories in the security industry trade, with insights from our threat intelligence research experts.
Ritika Tandon discusses how credential stuffing is gaining a lot of momentum and becoming increasingly lucrative for attackers.Read on M&E Daily
Larry Cashdollar noticed something peculiar in the logs on his personal website. He digs in and shares what happened next.Read on The Register
Akamai CEO Tom Leighton joined "Squawk Alley" to discuss the company's growth. State of the Internet Security report data is shared.Watch on CNBC
Martin McKeay shares findings from the latest State of the Internet Security report, which focuses on the Financial Services attack economy.Read on Digital Transactions
The Security Ledger
Paul Roberts welcomes Larry Cashdollar on his podcast for a chat about Larry’s discovery of the IoT-killing malware, Silex.Listen on The Security Ledger
Meet Us at the Edge
Get the latest security research firsthand - meet our threat intelligence experts face-to-face at industry events throughout the year.
An array of useful threat research tools from browser debugging to firmware updates.
- MQTT-PWN A comprehensive solution for IoT broker penetration-testing and security assessment operations. Learn More
- JSShell An interactive multi-user web JS shell. Learn More
- Pipiot Double architecture x86/ARM malicious payload construction. Learn More
- Sonoff-Evil Firmware PoC that demos exploitation by MQTT. Learn More
- Sonoff-Angel Firmware that hardens usage of dangerous MQTT routines. Learn More
Robust compliance assessment programs, personal data processing services, and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) certification.
Learn more about Akamai’s comprehensive compliance assessment programs and how we work with customers to obtain and maintain compliance.Learn More
Read more about Akamai’s personal data processing activities associated with the services it provides to customers.Learn More