In addition to driving industry-leading security intelligence, Akamai threat researchers regularly publish in academic journals and present at conferences and industry association events, sharing mitigation strategies and data focused on the constantly evolving security landscape.
FEATURED SECURITY VIDEO
Behind the Scenes with the Akamai Security Intelligence Response Team
FEATURED SECURITY REPORT
Criminals go where the money is. Our latest State of the Internet / Security report delves into the growing popularity of credential stuffing attacks against the gaming industry. In one 17-month period, we counted 12 billion attacks.
We went over to the darknet and found some surprising reasons why. We also found another surprise: Two vectors account for nearly 90% of all web application attacks. Also in this issue, Akamai CMO Monique Bonner shares three unexpected observations about security professionals.Download the report
FEATURED THREAT ADVISORY
Multiple Vulnerabilities in Magento: Earlier this week, Magento disclosed a new set of vulnerabilities affecting versions 2.0 and up. With a proof of concept exploit already published and the an SQL injection vulnerability being actively exploited, we look at how you can determine if you have been targeted and recommended remedial actions to be taken.
- Pykspa v2 DGA Updated to Become Selective Read Blog Post
- Anatomy of a SYN-ACK Attack Read Blog Post
- SIRT Advisory: Silexbot Read Blog Post
- Phishing Analytics - Tracking A Campaign Read Blog Post
- Latest Echobot: 26 Infection Vectors Read Blog Post
- CloudTest Vulnerability (CVE-2019-11011) Read Blog Post
Technical Threat Research
- Strategies for Active IPv6 Topology Discovery Read Publication
- Advancing the Art of Internet Edge Outage Detection Read Publication
- Improving Bitrate Adaptation in the DASH Reference Player Read Publication
Kathryn Kun directs the Adversarial Resilience group at Akamai, where one of the main aspects of her work is aligning with human realities in order to get to better security practices. Kathryn draws upon her industrial background in chemical engineering and automated processes to develop and implement system-theoretic and system-wide approaches.
The latest threat advisories, network security white papers, and cloud security news with updates on DDoS attacks, botnets, malware, ransomware, and other cybersecurity vulnerabilities.
- Multiple Magento Vulnerabilities: Learn about a new set of exploits, checks, and recommended fixes Read Report
- Satori Mirai Variant Alert: We look at new Mirai exploits that target multiple vulnerabilities Read Report
- CLDAP Reflection: We analyze the capabilities of and defenses against a new CLDAP method Read Report
Network Security White Papers
- Web Vulnerabilities: The Foundation of the Most Sophisticated DDoS Campaigns Read the whitepaper
- Plan vs. Panic: Making a DDoS Mitigation Playbook Part of Your Incident Response Plan Read the whitepaper
- IDC: Worldwide DDoS Prevention Products and Services 2013–2017 Forecast Read the whitepaper
Our unprecedented visibility provides insights into DNS and IP traffic that inform threat visualizations to reveal risk factors and attacks blocked, and provide critical security data.
Daily threat levels by industry and region containing informed Internet security metrics.Learn More
Akamai Threat Research in the News
Top stories in the security industry trade, with insights from our threat intelligence research experts.
Larry Cashdollar, who first spotted IoT malware Silex, details how it works and ultimately renders the compromised IoT devices useless.Read on ZDNet
Kathryn Kun takes a look at security talent identification and development, including a look at the Akamai security internship program.Read on Dark Reading
Akamai’s State of the Internet / Security report details how cybercriminals are targeting the gaming community with credential stuffing.Read on SC Magazine
Or Katz’s research into how criminal groups look at the legitimate business world for lessons in how to streamline operations and make money.Read on Decipher
Tony Lauro on how appreciation and respect for good real-world architecture goes a long way when it comes to architecting resilient systems.Read on Threatpost
Gaming company seeks to stop hackers from stealing, enabling cheating. Will a trend emerge in the courts with more lawsuits?Read on CISO Magazine
Meet Us at the Edge
Get the latest security research firsthand - meet our threat intelligence experts face-to-face at industry events throughout the year.
An array of useful threat research tools from browser debugging to firmware updates.
- MQTT-PWN A comprehensive solution for IoT broker penetration-testing and security assessment operations. Learn More
- JSShell An interactive multi-user web JS shell. Learn More
- Pipiot Double architecture x86/ARM malicious payload construction. Learn More
- Sonoff-Evil Firmware PoC that demos exploitation by MQTT. Learn More
- Sonoff-Angel Firmware that hardens usage of dangerous MQTT routines. Learn More
Robust compliance assessment programs, personal data processing services, and Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) certification.
Learn more about Akamai’s comprehensive compliance assessment programs and how we work with customers to obtain and maintain compliance.Learn More
Read more about Akamai’s personal data processing activities associated with the services it provides to customers.Learn More