Get In Touch
Chat with Sales
- Call us
- Customer Support For immediate customer support please call +1-6174444699 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email Us Please email Akamai Sales and we will contact you within 1-2 business days.
Cambridge, MA |
Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the world's largest and most trusted cloud delivery platform, today reported financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2018.
"We are very pleased with our second quarter performance, highlighted by outstanding growth in our security portfolio, further improvement in our Media and Carrier Division, overall margin expansion and very strong non-GAAP earnings growth of 34% year-over-year," said Dr. Tom Leighton, Chief Executive Officer.
Revenue: Revenue was $663 million, a 9% increase over second quarter 2017 revenue of $606 million and an 8% increase when adjusted for foreign exchange.*
Revenue by Division(1):
- Web Division revenue was $351 million, up 11% year-over-year and up 9% when adjusted for foreign exchange*
- Media and Carrier Division revenue was $312 million, up 8% year-over-year and up 7% when adjusted for foreign exchange*
Revenue from Cloud Security Solutions(2):
- Cloud Security Solutions revenue was $155 million, up 33% year-over-year and up 31% when adjusted for foreign exchange*
Revenue from Internet Platform Customers(3):
- Revenue from Internet Platform Customers was $44 million, down 14% year-over-year and when adjusted for foreign exchange*
- Revenue excluding Internet Platform Customers was $619 million, up 12% year-over-year and up 10% when adjusted for foreign exchange*
Revenue by Geography:
- U.S. revenue was $413 million, up 3% year-over-year
- International revenue was $250 million, up 21% year-over-year and up 18% when adjusted for foreign exchange*
Income from operations: GAAP income from operations was $57 million, a 33% decrease from second quarter 2017. GAAP operating margin for the second quarter was 9%, down 5 percentage points from the same period last year. The second quarter of 2018 was impacted by a one-time $50 million endowment to the Akamai Foundation.
Non-GAAP income from operations* was $170 million, a 17% increase from second quarter 2017. Non-GAAP operating margin* for the second quarter was 26%, up 2 percentage points from the same period last year.
Net income: GAAP net income was $43 million, a 24% decrease from second quarter 2017, which was also impacted by the Akamai Foundation endowment. Non-GAAP net income* was $143 million, a 34% increase from second quarter 2017.
EPS: GAAP EPS was $0.25 per diluted share, a 24% decrease from second quarter 2017 and a 33% decrease when adjusted for foreign exchange.* Non-GAAP EPS was $0.83 per diluted share, a 34% increase from second quarter 2017 and a 32% increase when adjusted for foreign exchange.*
Adjusted EBITDA*: Adjusted EBITDA was $262 million, an 18% increase from second quarter 2017. Adjusted EBITDA margin* was 39%, an increase of 2 percentage points as compared to the second quarter of 2017.
Other second quarter 2018 results:
- Cash from operations was $220 million, or 33% of revenue
- Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities was $2.3 billion as of June 30, 2018
- The Company spent $166 million to repurchase 2.2 million shares of its common stock at an average price of $76.76 per share
- The Company had approximately 169 million shares of common stock outstanding as of June 30, 2018
Adoption of new revenue recognition standard: Prior period results have been revised for the adoption of the new revenue recognition standard. Under this standard, the way revenue is recognized changed for some of Akamai's customers and primarily impacts the revenue timing of a small number of licensed software customers. The way Akamai recognizes revenue for its core Web and Media products is substantially unchanged. Akamai will also begin capitalizing certain commission and incentive payments. The revisions as a result of the new standard did not have a material impact on Akamai's annual revenue or results of operations, but did cause quarter-to-quarter fluctuations. For more information, see the posted revisions to the consolidated statements of income and other key disaggregated revenue amounts in the Investor Relations section of Akamai's website at www.akamai.com.
* See Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures below for definitions
(1) Revenue by Division – A customer-focused reporting view that reflects revenue from customers that are managed by the division. As of January 1, 2018, Akamai now reports its revenue in two divisions compared to the three divisions reported in 2017; the Media Division and Enterprise and Carrier Division were combined to form the new Media and Carrier Division. In addition, as the purchasing patterns and required account expertise of customers changes over time, Akamai may reassign a customer's division from one to another. In 2018 Akamai reassigned some of its customers from the Media and Carrier Division to the Web Division and revised historical results in order to reflect the most recent categorization and to provide a comparable view for all periods presented.
(2) Revenue from Cloud Security Solutions – A product-focused reporting view that illustrates revenue from Cloud Security Solutions separately from all other solution categories. During 2018, Akamai updated its methodology for allocating revenue to specific solutions when solutions are sold as a bundle. During 2018, Akamai reassigned amounts from CDN and other solutions revenue to Cloud Security Solutions revenue and revised historical results in order to reflect the most recent allocation methodologies and to provide a comparable view for all periods presented.
(3) Revenue from Internet Platform Customers – Revenue from six customers that are large Internet platform companies: Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Netflix
Quarterly Conference Call
Akamai will host a conference call today at 4:30 p.m. ET that can be accessed through 1-844-578-9671 (or 1-508-637-5655 for international calls) and using passcode 4695086. A live webcast of the call may be accessed at www.akamai.com in the Investor section. In addition, a replay of the call will be available for two weeks following the conference by calling 1-855-859-2056 (or 1-404-537-3406 for international calls) and using passcode 4695086. The archived webcast of this event may be accessed through the Akamai website.