Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the global leader in content delivery network (CDN) services, issued today a new Web security threat advisory from the company’s Threat Research Division. Threat Research has identified a sophisticated search engine optimization (SEO) campaign that uses SQL injections to attack targeted websites. Affected websites will distribute hidden Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) links that confuse search engine bots and erroneously impact page rankings. A full report detailing the attack is available for download here http://www.stateoftheinternet.com/seo-attacks
Over the course of a two week period in Q3 2015, Threat Research analyzed data gathered from the Akamai Intelligent Platform™ and observed attacks on more than 3,800 websites and 348 unique IP addresses participating in the various campaigns, revealing the following key findings:
- Evidence of mass defacement – when searching the Internet for the HTML links that were used as part of this campaign, Threat Research identified hundreds of web applications containing these malicious links.
- Attacks manipulated search engine results – when searching for a combination of common words such as “cheat” and “story”, it was apparent that the “cheating stories” application appeared on the first page of the leading search engines.
- Analytics showcased impact of attacks – Threat Research looked at Alexa analytics and the ranking of the “cheating stories” application dramatically increased during the three month span.
Search engines use specific algorithms to determine page rankings and indexing for sites on the web, and the number and reputation of links that redirect to the web application influence these rankings. The SEO attackers created a chain of external links that direct to stories of cheating and infidelity on the web to mimic normal web content and impact search engine algorithms.
“The ability to manipulate page rankings is an enticing proposition and business for attackers,” said Stuart Scholly, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Security Business Unit, Akamai. “If successful, attacks can impact revenue and, most importantly, the reputation of many organizations and companies using the Internet.”
Attacks in the campaign have demonstrated a unique understanding of search engine operations, and accordingly, Threat Research recommends the following defense techniques:
For Web Application Developers
- Ensure that you have implemented proper input validation checks for all user-supplied data that will be used within a back-end database query. Reference: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Input_Validation_Cheat_Sheet
- Only use prepared statements with parameterized queries when constructing SQL queries based on user-supplied data. Reference: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/SQL_Injection_Prevention_Cheat_Sheet
For Web Application Defenders
- Deploy a Web Application Firewall (WAF) that is configured in a blocking mode for SQL Injection attacks.
- Consider profiling and monitoring the HTML response body format to help identify if there are significant changes such as an increase in the the number of web links.
Akamai continues to monitor ongoing SEO attack campaigns leveraging SQL injection techniques. To learn more please download a complimentary copy of the threat advisory at http://www.stateoftheinternet.com/seo-attacks
As the global leader in Content Delivery Network (CDN) services, Akamai makes the Internet fast, reliable and secure for its customers. The company’s advanced web performance, mobile performance, cloud security and media delivery solutions are revolutionizing how businesses optimize consumer, enterprise and entertainment experiences for any device, anywhere. To learn how Akamai solutions and its team of Internet experts are helping businesses move faster forward, please visit www.akamai.com or blogs.akamai.com, and follow @Akamai on Twitter.
Akamai powers and protects life online. Leading companies worldwide choose Akamai to build, deliver, and secure their digital experiences — helping billions of people live, work, and play every day. With the world’s most distributed compute platform — from cloud to edge — we make it easy for customers to develop and run applications, while we keep experiences closer to users and threats farther away. Learn more about Akamai’s security, compute, and delivery solutions at akamai.com and akamai.com/blog, or follow Akamai Technologies on Twitter and LinkedIn.