When streaming live video and other content online, content providers need a live streaming server they can count on. Viewers today expect instant and uninterrupted access to streaming services and they want broadcast-quality video on the device of their choosing. To meet these increasingly high standards, providers require a live streaming server with remarkable reliability, capacity and scale. Streaming server performance must be flawless, for anything less than perfect is likely to have a long-lasting effect on audience perceptions of both the video experience and the provider’s brand.
As the global leader in content delivery network (CDN) services, Akamai provides a live streaming server solution that offers a high-quality viewing experience across network types and devices, as well as unmatched scalability to accommodate growth and rapid spikes in viewers and users.
A live streaming server from Akamai
Akamai’s Adaptive Media Delivery is a streaming media services solution that is optimized for Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) streaming to deliver an exceptional viewing experience across a variety of network types and varying connection speeds. As a live streaming server, Adaptive Media Delivery has been tested in some of the world’s largest online events, including the Super Bowl, the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup.
Built on the Akamai Intelligent Platform™, Akamai’s live streaming server leverages the scalability of the Akamai’s vast network of servers to provide instant scalability when demand for streaming services spikes unexpectedly. A broad network of edge servers with 20 to 100 times more Points of Presence than other global CDN streaming providers enables Akamai keep content close to the audience, overcoming the congestion, latency and packet loss on the Internet which can significantly limit the quality of video on a live streaming server.
Adaptive Media Delivery reliably delivers prepared, pre-segmented HTTP-based live and on-demand streaming media. Akamai supports the following formats:
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for iOS devices, browsers running HTML5, and more
- Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (MPEG-DASH)
- Microsoft Smooth Streaming (MSS) for devices running Microsoft Silverlight®
- HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS) for devices running the Adobe® Flash® and AIR® runtimes
Benefits of Akamai’s live streaming server
With a live streaming server from Akamai, content providers can:
- Scale rapidly to serve large audiences by leveraging Akamai’s distributed network and the ability to dynamically and intelligently distribute load.
- Deliver superior quality via Akamai’s network architecture which keeps content close to viewers.
- Provide content on any device with support for a wide range of standard video streaming protocols.
- Monitor streaming delivery and optimize online video playback quality and performance with Akamai’s application-aware software intelligence.
Learn more about Akamai’s live streaming media server and about solutions for enterprise mobility management.