The Importance of Maximizing Critical Application Performance
As organizations continue to exploit both public and private clouds to deliver enterprise software to global user bases, application performance monitoring and performance improvement become large-scale challenges. From aligning application processing demands with the right platform to ensuring that end users enjoy fast performance and maximum availability, organizations must deploy effective application performance management strategies in order to control costs, ensure that baseline performance metrics are met, and deliver positive user experiences that will help encourage application adoption.
Beyond the Five Pillars
Traditional application performance management can be described as having five key components. These include:
- Monitoring and rating the end user experience
- Measuring the performance of all software and hardware elements relating to application performance
- Profiling user-defined transactions as they move across the hardware and software that make up the application delivery platform
- Assessing the resource demands of the hardware and software that comprise the platform
- Analyzing the data compiled in the other four categories to discover patterns, identify areas of concern, and prioritize action steps to optimize application performance
New Strategies Require New Approaches
Beyond the Five Pillars Traditional application performance management can be described as having five key components.
How Akamai Approaches Application Performance Management
Akamai sees application performance management as a multifaceted challenge that demands a holistic solution. We provide application performance management as part of our Ion solution, which goes beyond the typical database, application, and Web tiers of application delivery infrastructure to address what we call "the 4th tier," which extends from the Web infrastructure tier, out of the origin, and across the Internet.
This approach is designed to provide a clear picture of every element of application performance in the cloud, as well as actionable intelligence in near- real time to optimize performance. Learn more about Akamai's Ion, Akamai's application management service.