Domain Name System (DNS) services are frequently a point of vulnerability for the enterprise, and DNS security has become a growing concern for many organizations. DNS is often a target for distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks, as well as reflection and amplification attacks. Because many organizations use only a couple of DNS servers, DNS security can be easily overwhelmed by a volumetric attack, causing DNS servers to go offline and preventing users from finding the website.
For enterprises seeking to better protect their DNS, Akamai provides a leading DNS security solution.
DNS security with Fast DNS
Akamai's Fast DNS is a cloud-based solution that delivers 24/7 DNS availability, improves DNS responsiveness, and ensures DNS security by fending off the largest DDoS attacks. Built on a globally distributed network, Fast DNS can be implemented as a primary or secondary DNS service.
Fast DNS promotes DNS security by providing a highly scalable platform that has enough capacity to absorb the largest DDoS attacks while also responding to legitimate user requests, enabling you to maintain availability and performance even while under attack. An optional add-on, Akamai DNSSEC, provides additional DNS security by helping to prevent DNS forgery and manipulation.
In addition to DNS security features, Fast DNS includes capabilities for:
- Faster responses: using a globally distributed Anycast network, Fast DNS accelerates DNS resolutions for users connecting to web sites and applications from anywhere in the world. You can direct users to a high performing DNS server based on network conditions to improve responsiveness. Zone apex mapping reduces DNS lookup times even further for websites on Akamai's Intelligent Platform™.
- Higher availability: Akamai's Intelligent Platform™ uses thousands of DNS servers in hundreds of points of presence worldwide to ensure a high level of DNS availability and to enable 100% uptime service level agreements.
Benefits for DNS security and availability
Fast DNS offers significant benefits for DNS security and availability, enabling organizations to:
- Achieve DDoS protection by absorbing attacks while also maintaining legitimate user access.
- Prevent DNS forgery and manipulation.
- Achieve faster and more reliable DNS resolution by using thousands of servers worldwide instead of simply relying on two or three servers.
- Guarantee 24/7 availability using Akamai's scalable, globally distributed platform.
- Simplify DNS infrastructure management with Akamai's Luna Control Center and open APIs.
- Control costs with pricing based on the number of zones rather than on the number of requests.
Learn more about Akamai solutions for DNS security, as well as solutions for application hosting, media content delivery, and more.