Cyber security systems and principles are designed to safeguard websites and web applications from attackers seeking to disrupt, delay, alter or redirect the flow of data. These attackers vary in target, motive, levels of organization, and technical capabilities, requiring public and private organizations to adopt ever-increasing measures to prevent cyber attacks.
- Governments maintain cyber security measures to protect the integrity of critical infrastructure for financial systems, public health, science, and safety institutions, and defense, aerospace, and intelligence agencies.
- Private enterprises use cyber security and online data protection to help prevent lost revenues, harm to brand reputation, and potential fines or legal liabilities.
Shortcomings of On-Premise Approaches to Cyber Security
Typically, public and private organizations defend their web-based assets by deploying cyber security appliances in data centers, such as hardened routers, network firewalls, and web application firewalls (WAF). Such devices provide a valuable layer of web security, but as a sole means of defense they have significant shortcomings. For example:
- Such devices inspect and filter incoming traffic, and easily become a performance chokepoint and a single point of failure for cyber attackers to target.
- Because they are inside the data center, such devices cannot protect against attacks that seek to block the internet lines that link the data center to telcom carriers.
- As a sole defense against cyber security threats, on-premise appliances and software burden an organization in terms of capital expenditures due to their short lifecycles and the need for ongoing operations and maintenance.
Akamai's Forward-Positioned, Massively Scalable Cyber Security Cloud
Akamai's Cloud Security Solutions are a suite of cyber security applications integrated into our industry leading web content and application delivery network. The Akamai cyber security cloud enables our clients in government, media, and business to employ a "defense in depth" strategy that safeguards critical web assets while reducing demands on their core infrastructure:
- Encompassing more than 216,000 servers in over 1100 networks worldwide, Akamai's cloud-based cyber security solutions scale to easily thwart even the largest of attacks.
- The Cloud Security Solutions suite provides comprehensive defenses at both the network layer (website IP address cloaking, IP address blacklists and whitelists, SYN flood deflection, and more) and the application layer (adaptive throttling of HTTP request rates, a globally distributed we application firewall (WAF), and more).
- To learn how the Akamai security cloud thwarts a common type of application layer attack, see our SQL injection tutorial.
- Because of its close integration with our global web content acceleration network, the Akamai cyber security solution actually boosts the performance of your website and web applications, rather than diminishing it as many other types of security solutions may do.
- As a turn-key, cloud-based service, the Akamai cyber security solution is easy to use and enables your IT team to focus less on security implementation details and more on core public or private organization objectives.
- For merchants subject to PCI DSS compliance requirements, using the Akamai cyber security cloud—with optional features such as edge tokenization of sensitive cardholder data—can make your PCI compliance checklist shorter and simpler
Learn more about the benefits of using Akamai's cloud-based cyber security solutions.