Cloud servers are computing resources made available on a pay-per-use basis by third party providers who own and maintain the resources. To truly be considered "cloud" servers, the resources should be provisionable on demand and allow users a high degree of self-service control, typically through a web portal. Cloud servers are available as raw compute and storage resources (Infrastructure as a Service) or as ready-made platforms for application development and testing (Platform as a Service). Although the term "cloud servers" tends to be associated most closely with IaaS or PaaS, cloud servers also provide the behind-the-scenes infrastructure that enables Software as a Service (SaaS).
Benefits of Cloud Servers
Using cloud servers can provide your enterprise a powerful combination of benefits:
- Expand your IT capabilities without any capital spending.
- Get new IT-enabled products and services to market quickly without bogging down in a time-consuming infrastructure build-out.
- Offload the ongoing headache of maintaining and updating hardware, operating systems, and applications.
- Leverage the near-limitless scalability that the best cloud computing companies offer by expanding into new markets or tackling ambitious big data analytics projects.
- Supplement your private, on-premise cloud with public cloud servers to create a versatile and cost-effective hybrid cloud.
Put Akamai's 216,000+ Cloud Servers to Work for Your Enterprise
The Akamai Intelligent Platform is a global network of specialized cloud servers that accelerate and secure the delivery of web content and web applications on behalf of many of the world's leading brands. By leveraging the more than 216,000 cloud servers that comprise the Akamai Intelligent Platform, content providers and enterprises are able to instantly extend their application performance management infrastructure out to the very edges of the internet.
Akamai's globe-spanning cloud computing architecture supports a rich array of cloud services for our clients, including:
- End-to-end acceleration of webpage delivery, leveraging a wide range of techniques including real-time route optimization, protocol optimizations, and front-end optimization (FEO) for mobile as well as fixed line devices.
- Cloud-based transcoding and delivery optimization services for streaming video and other rich media.
- Security solutions that help protect your website and web applications from internet-based threats.
- Cloud management solutions that help enterprises deliver a better end user experience from private cloud or SaaS applications.
- And much more.
Learn more about Akamai global network of intelligent cloud servers.
Learn more about Akamai solutions for service providers and enterprises.